System Admin

MiB

: 09.12.2003
:
: 6,278
c: 285
2,253 713
Maryno.net DoDS server unofficial English FAQ

This FAQ is unofficial I am nor the administrator neither the owner of this server, just a player as you are. This FAQ has been written in English for those of you who dont understand Russian and have difficulties reading the forum. Somebody may translate it someday I dont care. The only purpose of this FAQ is to keep you informed, avoiding doing something stupid or abusing the rules. Moreover, I dont like people playing dumb just because they dont know Russian. For general DoDS terms and gameplay look for general FAQ.

This FAQ describes the gameplay at Maryno.net DoDS servers to the best of authors knowledge as of the date stated in version date. Neither the owners or administrators of this site or DoDS servers mentioned above would be responsible for any information placed hereafter. For general DoDS terms and gameplay look for general FAQ.

Q: Where am I? What kind of server is this?
A:
Consider this server private, and you will not make a big mistake. It is owned by local Internet provider in Moscow, Russia. It is provided for free and intended for joy of local users. And it is opened for Internet users just to have some fresh meat around here. Admins are volunteers, owing nothing to anybody and have the right to decide. They may kick and even ban you at will. Normally, they dont abuse this right. On the other hand, this server is a public playground for Russia's #1 Day of Defeat Source team "Angriff", and so you have a chance to play against (or hand-by-hand) with real pro-players, and please note - for free!

Q: Why this server is non-Steam (unlicensed)?
A:
It is not because we like things Valve bans players for. So don't even think about doing something silly, we will get your ass banned right away The server is unlicensed because it is much easier for admins to establish it this way, because it is free and will never pay back the price Valve charges, besides, because the overall software market situation in Russia and a lot of other things not to be mentioned here.

Q: Can I use steam (licensed) version of DoDS to play?
A:
Sure. You can have some troubles connecting during official DoDS updates day or two, about twice a year. Dont worry.

Q: Where can I download your version of DoDS?
A:
See our forum. Links are published regularly and become dead regularly as well. The key words for you are which means for Internet users, not local ones. So, consider the use of Steam version you can do it even when banned at Steam servers - isn't that great?

Q: What are the "Do not(s)"?
A:
Easy ones never teamkill, never cheat, never teamdamage. This three are the most hated ones. Once you get caught by admin feel lucky if he will just kick you off the server. Normally you will be banned for this. The ban will be set at all of your providers ip-addresses, so nobody of its users would ever play on these servers. If you think AOL (for example) is way too big to ban, you are wrong, go see Q1. Oh yes, and here is the list of banned networks.

Q: What are the "Must Do(s)"?
A:
Most important ones are: teamplay, try to capture flags and read the chat. If you are an MG-guy or a sniper, dont lead the attack and read the chat again. If people are pissed off with your performance (you see **** after your nick in the chat), consider switching to other weapon, its a part of teamplay. Believe, there are some incredible MG-guys and snipers around.

Q: How do I communicate with players?
A:
Use in-game chat, type it. Speak English most players and admins understand written English (and some of them even have PhD in Political Science and Law from the largest University in Canada ). Almost nobody understands German, French or Spanish. And try not to use SMS-style or English gaming argo its not Oakland, dude, nobody gets!

Q: What if we chat with buddies in our language?
A:
Probably people will get pissed off sooner or later. In Russia its considered extremely impolite if guests are talking in a language, which the host does not understand. If people are saying something about Albanian it is the sign they are pissed of with you. Consider using Teamspeak @ ts.maryno.net where you can create your own "room" for all your gaming needs.

Q: What does it mean Speak Albanian or Learn Albanian?
A:
This means You are at Russian server. Speak language we can understand. This is the mention of one LJ user that was really surprised and even angry to find out that there are places in LJ where people speak Russian only. He finished up with his ass kicked really badly.

Q: What about curse language?
A:
Most probably you dont know the words that can really offend a Russian, just dont mention a bunch of hooey. Seriously, Russians get their hands on the most recent Hollywood movies earlier than you do, so we knew the worst part of English. Admins will warn you (but they may not), then kick you. And dont think of abusing people in other languages one understanding is too much, he will frame you and you will be kicked. What is good: nobody will be pissed off if you abuse Lords name. Be our guest.

Q: How the ranking works here?
A:
The server calculates your rank based on your current rank and ranks of people you kill. The killed players rank is divided by one of yours. The ranks are calculated at the end of each map. So, if you want to see last changes wait until new map starts. Idiots check their ranks before map changes. Its how we recognize them.

User commands you can type in chat string are:

:
rank - shows your rank
top - shows all players ranks
Q: I killed a teammate unintentionally, what do I do?
A:
Hope you did this not at the respawn, as damned team killers do. Say Sorry or even Sor its enough and understandable. Nevertheless, those killed will have an option to forgive you or to slay you. Take it as it is. You will have the same option if somebody kills you. But think twice before slaying the MG guy this is what enemies trying to do.

Q: Damned team killer keeps killing me at the respawn!
A:
Dont consider killing him in return, admin can ban you as a team killer when he arrives. Use slay option and cry Call admin, teamkiller is here! First, admin may be around here, playing say, for other team (remember, its free server and admins are volunteers). Second, local players have admins contacts, so somebody will call one of them.

Q: This player is a cheater, he is killing me instantly!
A:
It is probable, but not common. We dont have a lot of cheaters around here about one in three or two months average. And it is very difficult to frame the cheater even for an admin, looking through "suspects eyes". Most probably, you've just run across one of pro-players. Look for him in servers top list, but dont pay too much attention to it pros are not spending too much time here and thus they are rarely servers top players. Consider informing the admin he knows all the good players and can hunt the cheater down.

Q: Admin banned me for nothing, just because I am such a great player was at the top of the list!
A:
The only thing the admin can be envious of is the fact you are playing when he is working. (You got powder while I got shower, got it?) Admins are only pissed off with people who make them working: cheaters, teamkillers and other abusers. Admin doesnt care about your performance until you are not suspected of cheating. And the round top list you mentioned is noting. See rankings question.

Q: I use voice chat, but nobody seems to hear me.
A:
At least half of players dont use sound (or they would hear when I come after them before I killem ) and cant hear you. The most of others just dont understand language you speak. Even if you think its Russian. Pro-players use Teamspeak, others dont use any voice chat at all. So stop bothering us.

Q: I did not find the answer I need.
A:
I dont care. Most probably your question requires reading the forum or communication with admins. Anyway, you have to know Russian to do both. You may try to ask admins here in the forum in English. But better start studying Russian, it will be quicker.

Version history.
Jan 4, 2007. Beta 0.1 is out. Comments are welcome through this forum private or ICQ. If you dont know my number you should not.
Feb 9, 2007. Beta 0.2 is out. Some editorial work by vonRas, and yes, my PhD is better than your PhD.

2007, DoctorABC aka Cy4kope3
MiB